Thursday, October 27, 2011

Good morning!

What a happy Thursday! Well, I'm trying. I got up this morning and did everything as usual. After I do my makeup, I get to drink a cup of coffee and read my emails. It's really "me" time. It didn't take to figure out that I can't "reply, forward or compose and send any. I get an error message ...this message was not sent to ... then it lists whoever I was trying to send it to. Doesn't tell me why or what to do about it. So not a very good start first thing in the morning, 5:30 am.
Onto this mornings post. Some of you know we are having Red Ribbon week at our schools and every day is something new. Hippie day, Monday. Tuesday was silly sock day and Wednesday was wear red "drug free" t-shirts. Well, Gabriel enjoyed the first 3 days. He like his hippie accessories and wore silly socks. And he had a new red drug free t-shirt for Wednesday. His hippie pic was earlier this week.
Here's his socks. He wore jeans so they didn't get a lot of attention
Today it's crazy hair/hat day. So trying to give him something no one else would have, I created a "silly" spider for a baseball hat.  When he went to bed he loved it. This morning, a whole different attitude. The first thing out of his mouth, "I don't want to wear that silly spider hat."
I sure wasn't going to force him. He was afraid everyone would laugh "at" him.
Here's the hat. So he went to school not participating. The spider stayed home with me. Maybe I'll wear it on Halloween.
He's only in Kindergarten and this school goes to the 3rd grade. I really don't think these kids know what a Hippie" is or the '70s.
We seem to have a group of mothers who dream up these things for kids that really don't care. They cut out so many things in school but they are willing to waste time on these types of things. When I was in jr. high, when there was still jr. high, we had dressup days, 3 or 4 a year, and we were old enough to understand what they were for. This school has something almost every week. The other elementary school in the area doesn't do all this.
Next Wednesday is the fiftieth day of school so were having 50s day. I bet most of these kids have never seen Happy Days. This particular day is to celebrate being halfway to the 100th day of school, for the 100th day celebration. I just don't get it. Since school started we have bought 4 special t-shirts and "spirit sleeves" .
(which I never heard of) Not counting the books, spirit sales(junk sold on game days) and providing the class with snacks once a month. At least 3 times a week there is a request to buy something. We've even had pictures made 2 times so far.I think our PTA is out of control. There are some kids that just can't buy all this stuff. They must sometimes feel left out.
Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems if they are doing all these things in the early grades when they get to be 12 and older it won't be so special. Maybe they're pushing them to grow up just a little too fast.
Sorry to be so long winded Anyone else have these issues? Or any others?
Thanks for listening. God bless. Hugs, Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Stephanie. My son is 20 now and his school and most still do 100th day, but 50th day, seems to be pushing it. You're right about those ones who can't afford it too. I've started a college ministry, that gets them all together during there breaks and the summer and I try to very how much it will cost, to allow for the varying income levels, esp. in this economy. Some A-type parents can be just a little crazed and not realize what a burden it is or how much it can hurt a child. You can't do everything. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! So much for a free education, huh? I can imagine how frustrating this all is for you. Seems like it used to be just homecoming week! At least we knew what we were getting excited about. Sounds like they are trying to keep the kids hyped up all the time, and I'm afraid that just may backfire on them. I hope the parents settle down soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Spider! I don't have kids, but that sounds like a steaming pile to me. A couple of the ladies at work have been discussing some of the things that their kids are going through in school and I just can't believe some of what I hear. It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete