Thursday, September 24, 2015

A Tale of Two Lamps

Hi, everyone. How has your week been? I've been able to do a little crafting in between normal everyday life.

Today I'm going to tell you a story. I bought the last new kit from SVGCuts, the main project is a Tiffany style lamp. Well I couldn't wait to start it. Hubby went out of town for a few days and I had my chance.

Got it all cut out and decided to start by coloring the vellum first. Got it all colored, each section needed two layers and to be colored on both sides. We.., I hated it. I do not do well with markers. So I cut more vellum and tried pencils, not enough color.  So I tried to combine markers and pencils, that looked pretty good. ( I tried them together the next morning after spending hours on this the night before)

When I started the second row of cuts , I couldn't make it look good.. So I scrapped the whole shade and started over. Cut a new framework and decided to use some printed vellum I have had for about 20 years. (bought at QVC when they used to have 24 hour craft days in the 90's)

It was pale but I liked it. I cut more plain vellum and added an extra layer. But I couldn't let it alone.

I decided to try again. This time I used some Tombow markers. After lots of trial and error I finally figured out that one side of the vellum is just slightly smoother than the other and the markers work so well on it. The colors came out bright enough that I only needed 1 layer.

So this is the saga of 2 lamps!

Take a look:





 
So what do you think?
 
Hugs and God bless. Stephanie

7 comments:

  1. Stephanie!! These are absolutely stunning! WOW! So beautiful! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh, they are amazing, Stephanie! They really work, even? Wow, these look like real lamps... I mean real Tiffany lamps. You are waaaaay more patient than me.... I would have scrapped the project with all that vellum frustration. But wow, you did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tiffany Lampshades and these two look like the real deal. Absolutely fantastic, Steph. I too have a big issue with coloring anything anymore because of some hand damage and when I try it becomes a disappointing event. You did wonders with your two creations. W0w...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are gorgeous. I'm glad you shared these. Thanks for sharing.
    Crafty hugs,
    Dawn
    DesignsbyDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that sounds like a lot of trial and error, but good golly what a pay off! These are truly spectacular! The colors are amazing and they look like authentic Tiffany lamps. They are really beautiful when lit up...absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie these are gorgeous!!!!!! LOVE them so much. I purchased this set as well for the lamp... and I cannot wait to make one of my own... i'm glad that you told us about your trial and errors... it will help me and others when we decide to create our own. So thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what type of lighting did you use for this? The same type of light that Mary did in her video? And if so, where did you locate them? I cannot find them anywhere yet. I'm hoping that they will start to come out for Christmas with the decor they put out in the stores.
    Hugs,
    Jo
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jo, I just saw your comment. Yes, I used the same lighting Mary mentioned. Our Hobby Lobby put out Halloween, Thanksgiving/Fall and Christmas all in the same week. This was a pack of 2 lights for $7.99 at Hobby Lobby. (of course I used a coupon - can't stand to pay full price) lol I think this type of light is basically all the same size. There is a switch in the cord to turn it on and off. Can't wait to see yours.

      Delete